Thursday, April 27, 2017

Dirty Rat!

Ahhh, finally found the time to finish something! So back around 1990, I discovered Blood Bowl 2nd edition while living the life of an unhappy college student in Waco. Already having most of a Skaven army for Warhammer, I immediately collected a team of the little rat men. Of course, these being showy little American Football analogues I just couldn't paint them in dirty drab colors like their army brethren, so armed with a lot of red and yellow craft paint I happily holed up in my crappy little one bedroom apartment and painted them.

MANY years later, I have decided that most of the paint jobs aren't all that presentable for the newest version of Blood Bowl, so into the Simple Green most of them went to await a more modern look. I decided to paint my Rat Ogre first, as he was about the only miniature on the team who never got finished all those years ago - no idea why I didn't, either.

So here he is - my Warhammer Fantasy Rat Ogre stand-in for the Skaven Blood Bowl team, the "Warpington Ratskins".


With his weird little helmet and chain-wrapped fists, I always thought he looked the part of a BB player. Paints are a combination of, well, everything - craft paints (yes, still!), Reaper, GW and a very old bottle of AD&D paints "mold yellow" (which is my favorite yellow at the moment, and I'll be sad when it's gone).


Booty shot.

Even though he's pictured on a venerable AstroGranite (tm) pitch, I base all of my players with grass and dirt, which matches most modern BB boards. I actually like how he turned out - glad to see that I can still paint when I take the time to!


Last, here's a shot of my freshly painted Rat Ogre with two of his little brothers, a lineman (kicker, originally) and blitzer respectively. These two are the only ones that I spared from the Simple Green bath - I am still ok with how they look, even though they're a bit brighter overall than the RO. Back then, I really liked my paint jobs as obnoxiously bright as possible.

Well, I've already started four more linemen - hopefully they'll be done before the start of the summer semester (jeeze, am I ALWAYS in school?) If these two guys start to really stick out, I may have to get them in the Simple Green too.

EDIT: Annnnd I forgot his earrings - it's always something...

No comments:

Post a Comment